# #

Thursday, July 30, 2009

MY DAD

Here I sit
Snug in my favorite chair.
A roaring fire
Reflects in the glass
Against a moonlit, November night sky.
Music on the radio takes me back;
Add the smell of hickory burning and
Crackling, hissing, sounds of
The wood stoves of my youth.
I can almost see you
Sitting in your favorite chair
Contentment and pride are settled in the
Relaxed smile on your face.
And what I wouldn’t do for
One more conversation
One more discussion on
Theology, politics or growing up.
What I wouldn’t give for
One more piece of advice
From a man who somehow
Got smarter, as I got older.
How I need to hear, one more time
Smile and the world smiles at you
While perched on your lap
Receiving my daily dose of hugs and encouragement.
But then again
Thanks to these wonderful memories
I’ll have many more
“One more, moonlit November nights.”

MY DAD

No comments: