# #

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

From the book "Of Ways Of Looking At A Woman"

Foreward

Of Ways Of Looking At A Woman is that and much more. Nancy Watts dubs this her first book of poetry but one would never guess that. A year ago, as a New England Writers member, she began sending me her poems for mentoring. She saved up quite a few and has that unique gift of being able to write a poem on demand, which she frequently does of herself. Studying to finish her degree and raising two children is part of the discipline that has gone into her first book of poetry. We not only see finished work, but the poems are gut feelings when a young friend dies or how she feels about her own children. Facing challenges, she steps up to the plate and does some of her mentor’s new BRIK poems. The results are more than being a housewife they are more Ways of Looking At A Woman. What the reader sees is much that is delightful.

Frank Anthony Ph. D.




She crept into your subconscious
Like the smile on a baby in the midst of a dream
She tests your patience
Like a kitten
Batting your face in the early morning hours
Yet her eyes sparkle
With the laughter of a child bearing a secret
Food for every man’s soul
But to whom will it belong in the end?
Shh. Don’t tell
Keep it but a dream
For the dream that becomes reality, is no longer a fantasy

DREAM




The day I called your name
A tear caressed my cheek
It was a tear filled with joy
A tear brimming with hopes and love
For in that tear
Was the taste of salt from your lips
And the blue seas of your eyes
Whisking me away to a place I had never been
And in that tear
Was a reflection of myself
A part of me I thought I’d never give
To someone whom I could lose
Then your hand
With its most gentle touch
Brushed away my tear
Hoping to spare me pain
Not realizing
That tear, was all I had
To make me feel alive.
TEAR





I saw my reflection in your eyes
Youth, exuberance and creativity
Now the heavy lids of boredom slip closed
And I must look within
To find my strength and assurances
But the dark is a scary place
The sound of your voice once told me
The words of your heart
But all has quieted
And the silence if deafening
You flowed through my veins
Like the river to the sea
With wild abandon and purpose
Now you bleed through opened wounds
As sharp tongues lash the heart
And the pain adds to the darkness
But I will find my way
Padding though the inner walls of my soul
Cauterizing the wounds, healing the scars
And I will emerge again to hear
The laughter in your voice
For I will be stronger
And once again full of surprise and allure
No longer afraid of the dark

REFLECTION

No comments: